Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Fees for rescue costs

Weatherman    86

A New Hampshire state rep is submitting a bill to charge people for their rescue regardless of whether or not they have a Hike Safe card. Apparently local fire chiefs are complaining that the state is not reimbursing them for rescue costs, and the state is not taking in enough money to pay for rescues. This is a problem that somehow refuses to go away.

Remind me to ask my local town to bill residents of other towns if they need emergency services. For example, get in a crash on the highway? Bill the country bumpkins for the emergency services response.

Cannonballer    87
A New Hampshire state rep is submitting a bill to charge people for their rescue regardless of whether or not they have a Hike Safe card. Apparently local fire chiefs are complaining that the state is not reimbursing them for rescue costs, and the state is not taking in enough money to pay for rescues. This is a problem that somehow refuses to go away.
Remind me to ask my local town to bill residents of other towns if they need emergency services. For example, get in a crash on the highway? Bill the country bumpkins for the emergency services response.

Well basically that is what happens. Emergency service response in the case of car accidents is paid for by the insurance of the injured person (or the at-fault person). The problem with mountain rescues is that there mostly isn't insurance to cover it. The Hike Safe card was an attempt at that but so far hasn't raised enough revenue.