Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Sugarloaf offering cat skiing on Burnt Mountain

Ethan discussed this plan with me at last year's AZ Summit. He wasn't sure if Boyne was going to buy the cat this summer, but it looks like they went for it.

Personally, I would have preferred something like a Tbar where it flattens out at the bottom of the basin extending back to the base of King Pine chair. That way you can explore far out to skiers right and not worry about getting stuck down by the condos.

It will be interesting to see what kind of traffic the cat sees on a powder day

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Jully    9
1 hour ago, deadheadskier said:

Ethan discussed this plan with me at last year's AZ Summit. He wasn't sure if Boyne was going to buy the cat this summer, but it looks like they went for it.

Personally, I would have preferred something like a Tbar where it flattens out at the bottom of the basin extending back to the base of King Pine chair. That way you can explore far out to skiers right and not worry about getting stuck down by the condos.

It will be interesting to see what kind of traffic the cat sees on a powder day

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Maximum of under 200 possible seats a day isn't a large amount of traffic, but it IS a lot of money relatively speaking. On a completely sold out day (which I'm sure most weekend powder days will be) that's over $4,500 before any operating expenses.

I'd bet the cat will be 80% sold out most days of the year. Luckily the area is massive enough that 180 extra people won't make much of a difference too.

I didn't get the email with the details.  By traffic, I was mainly referring to the lines waiting for the Cat.   Do reservations need to be made in advance, or just pay cash where the Cat picks you up?

I'd imagine this might take a bit of time to work out the kinks.  I can see some folks traveling down to the base of the Cat, not knowing what the deal is and then having to slog back down through the Whiffletree condo area to get back to the resort.   I've made that trip before and it isn't fun.   Hence my idea for the T-Bar starting around where the Upper Logging Field is on the map and heading back to KP.   

Jully    9
5 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

I didn't get the email with the details.  By traffic, I was mainly referring to the lines waiting for the Cat.   Do reservations need to be made in advance, or just pay cash where the Cat picks you up?

I'd imagine this might take a bit of time to work out the kinks.  I can see some folks traveling down to the base of the Cat, not knowing what the deal is and then having to slog back down through the Whiffletree condo area to get back to the resort.   I've made that trip before and it isn't fun.   Hence my idea for the T-Bar starting around where the Upper Logging Field is on the map and heading back to KP.   

Hah! That I'm sure would make for some upset customers. You do need to reserve a seat in advance, on a specific cat/time even. Email said if you miss your scheduled ride you won't even be guaranteed a seat on a later cat.

Ive heard no details about a pay at the door option. I think management is expecting this to be a big hit and sold out most trips and isn't even considering unreserved spots for now.

T-bar makes a lot of sense in that regard. Seems like a golden opportunity to build a yurt or something at the base of the cat pick up. They recommend arriving 10 minutes beforehand.